Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It is rarely easy when health concerns and the passage of time necessitate moving an older loved one into a nursing home or assisted living facility. Families are right to expect that the people entrusted to look after their loved one will have the training and resources necessary to properly and appropriately provide necessary care as well as the disposition, integrity, and compassion that will ensure that they are treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.
But all too often, those expectations are not met, trust is broken, and seniors suffer – physically, emotionally, and psychologically. Their families are left with worry, anger, guilt and worse.
At Manger Law Firm, we understand the trauma that comes with learning that an elderly loved one has been abused or neglected by the very people entrusted to care for them. We also know it can be difficult for seniors living with such mistreatment to speak up about the abuse or for family members to discover the true condition of their loved one. That’s why we are a voice for the voiceless, and a committed advocate for seniors and their families who are victims of nursing home or assisted living misconduct and negligence. We fight for compensation, justice, and the inherent dignity of seniors in nursing home and abuse cases in and around High Point.
An Epidemic of Abuse and Neglect
If you or a loved one has suffered at the hands of negligent or abusive nursing home staff, you are sadly not alone. The National Center on Elder Abuse reports these alarming statistics:
- During a two-year period, nearly 1 in 3 nursing homes in the U.S. were cited for violations of federal standards that had potential to cause harm or that had caused actual harm to a resident and nearly 1 out of 10 homes had violations that caused residents harm, serious injury, or placed them in jeopardy of death.
- In a study of 2,000 interviews of nursing home residents, 44% said they had been abused and 95% said they had been neglected or seen another resident neglected.
- Over 50% of nursing home staff admitted to mistreating (e.g. physical violence, mental abuse, neglect) older patients within the prior year in one study. Two thirds of those incidents involved neglect.
Given that there are an estimated 37,400 residents in North Carolina’s certified nursing homes, the odds are tragically high that any given senior will suffer abuse and neglect at the hands of their caregivers
Abuse and Neglect Take Many Forms
Many of the problems that can lead to nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Poor staffing
- Poor facility maintenance and unsanitary conditions
- Lack of adequate training and education
- Failure to properly screen employees for proper medical knowledge and personal temperament
At Manger Law Firm, we represent seniors and their families in cases involving any type of injury or trauma caused by a nursing home or assisted living facility, including:
- Medication mistakes
- Wrongful death
- Physical abuse
- Financial misconduct and theft
- Sexual abuse
- Falls and drops
- Inadequate care for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
Manger Law Firm – High Point Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Law Firm
I’m High Point, North Carolina personal injury lawyer Rich Manger. I strongly believe in justice for our seniors, and fight relentlessly on their behalf when they are mistreated or abused. If you or a loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse and neglect, please give Manger Law Firm a call. With personal attention, compassion, and a commitment to your well-being, we will aggressively pursue compensation and hold abusive parties accountable for their conduct.